Thursday, April 17, 2008

Should I or Shouldn't I?

This is the constant tennis-match-back-and-forth question I've been asking myself about selling my road bike. The obvious answer might be, "if you have to ask the question, then you're not ready yet". But, ah, that would be too obvious!

I have only ridden it once in the past 1.5 years, and I'm afraid that I'm watching it slowly age (though it's in great shape). I posted it on Road Bike Review and had some mild interest. In fact, the girl who last emailed me (and I responded to) sounded really serious but has yet to reply. *sigh*

It's not the fanciest bike out there. No Campy. No Dura-Ace. Not ultra-light. No carbon fiber.

But, it is a solid intro-level bike for someone looking to get into the sport.

I think, to make my final decision, I will borrow from the wisdom of someone on STR. Ride it three times and then decide. This Saturday I may just as well go out and do that on the UCCyclery Saturday ride.

Truthfully, it is more my fear of becoming someone's hood ornament that keeps me from riding the road than anything else. Maybe I'll make a list of pros and cons. Here goes:

Pro
Not as scary as riding alone on a secluded mtb trail
Good training for mtb
Ramp up the miles
See lots of scenery

Con
Bo-ring
Cars/distracted drivers
Potential to commute is about nil
Road rash

I guess I'll count Saturday as ride #1 and then go from there....stay tuned!

No comments: