Thursday, April 1, 2010

Banana-Coconut Pancakes (Paleo Eats)

Allison shared a Paleo banana pancake recipe with me a few months back, and it's become a staple in our weekly breakfasts (especially on the morning of a big ride). It's super healthy and easy to make. I promise you won't miss the flour. I modified* it a bit from Allison's and added unsweetened coconut to change things up a bit. If you HATE coconut, just omit and double the amount of ground flaxseed.

(*I really don't measure when I'm cooking these, so I'll give you rough equivalents. Honestly, I usually toss in ingredients based on experience and adjust if the batter looks too runny or too thick.)
Ingredients:

4 large ripe bananas
2 eggs + 1 egg white
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
2-3 tbsp ground flaxseed
2-3 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tbsp cinnamon

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl...

1. Peel the bananas and break into large chunks. Mash banana into a pulp. I use my hands...you can use a masher if you like.

2. Add eggs, protein powder, and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly.

3. Add in flax and coconut. Usually, I'll start with less and add more if the batter is still too runny. You want a fairly thick batter but not so much that it won't spread on the pan (just like regular pancakes).

4. Meanwhile, heat skillet on medium heat. When warm enough, grease with cooking spray, butter, coconut oil, etc (your choice).
6. I use a 1/4 c. measuring cup to portion out the batter. Cook for a few minutes on one side until you see bubbles forming. Flip and cook a few minutes more.

7. Top with your favorite goodies (we like cashew butter and pumpkin butter). Nom nom nom.

Yields ~20 pancakes.

No comments: